This image represents a two-dimensional work of art, such as a
drawing,
painting,
print, or similar creation. The
copyright for this image is likely owned by either the
artist who created it, the
individual who commissioned the work, or their
legal heirs. It is believed that the use of
low-resolution images of artworks:
for purposes of
critical commentary on:
- the specific work in question,
- the artistic genre or technique employed in the artwork, or
- the artistic school or tradition to which the artist is associated,
qualifies as
fair use under
copyright law.
Any other use of this image, could potentially constitute a copyright infringement.
The Pavilion of Prince Teng demonstrates that Tang Di, a scholar and government official best known for his large-scale colored paintings on silk, was also capable of producing intimate, more informal ink drawings on paper. As he does in his monumental decorative style, Tang here follows the conservative brush idiom of the Northern Song master Guo Xi (ca. 1000–ca. 1090), though his relaxed calligraphic depiction of rocks, trees, and foliage reflects the early Yuan transformation of Song models by Tang Di"s teacher, Zhao Mengfu (1254–1322). The pavilion, erected in the seventh century by the prince of Teng, is one of the most renowned buildings in Chinese history, thanks to the poet Wang Bo (649–676). It is situated near the confluence of the Gan and Yangzi Rivers in Jiangsi Province. Wang"s poem, which contrasts the impermanence of human life with the endless flow of the river, has made the pavilion a favorite subject for painters. The large seals at the beginning of this scroll belong to Prince Yi (1686–1730), thirteenth son of the Kangxi emperor (r. 1662–1722).